The faces behind the stories!

The faces behind the stories!
My little Loves.

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Sticker that Enlightened Me...

I so wish I had gotten my camera out really fast and taken a picture for this blog. If you could, imagine Matthew's little head with a big round sticker stuck right to the top of his hair. That would be the imagine you need! ;)

We were at Disneyland for the last day of our passes on friday. I told the Disneyland staff that my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary (which is actually today) and each one of us got a "I'm Celebrating" or "It's My Anniversary" pin to wear. The boys also got a big round Disneyland sticker.

As we're waiting in line for the Soarin Over California ride, Matthew decided to put that big round red sticker right smack dab on the top of his head. Now, I don't know if you've seen Matthew lately, but the boy has a lot of hair on the top of that little (ok big) round head. I watched him as he decided to change his mind on that decision. He started to pull it off against the grain of his hair. "OUCH"...with a wimper and a slightly watery eye. He did not ask for help. He tried again. He hurt again. He tried from the side, and he hurt yet again. Finally, after he had made his head sore and hadn't gotten anywhere, but more tangled, he came to me.

He asked me for help.

I put my fingers on the back of his head and quickly and easily pulled the sticker off in the direction of his hair growth. It did not hurt, and the sticker was gone. His pain was gone. His mistake was gone.

It reminded me of this poem that used to be on the wall at my mom's house:

LET GO AND LET GOD!
As children bring their broken toys
with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God,
because He was my friend.
But then, instead of leaving Him,
in peace, to work alone;
I hung around and tried to help,
with ways that were my own.
At last, I snatched them back and cried,
"How can you be so slow?"
"My child," He said,
"What could I do?
You never did let go."


So many days of my life, I see lessons in my children. How many things am I holding on to and trying to fix on my own? How many times don't I ask for help when He's standing RIGHT THERE watching, just waiting for my voice to call out to Him.

Dear Lord... help me see past myself. Help me see with your eyes. Lord, help me to remember the lessons I've learned from my little loves and how they apply to my life with You. I give you my hurts, my fears, my disappointments and my struggles and I ask You to help me truly let go and watch you be the Daddy who just wants to help and heal me... Thank You Lord, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment