The faces behind the stories!

The faces behind the stories!
My little Loves.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Devotion I read Today...

Proverbs 16:9 – a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. – Proverbs 16:9
What a mystery this proverbs presents to us: as much as we plan, it is ultimately the Lord who determines our steps. But what a brilliant mystery! We are responsible to choose our course, and yet the Lord takes those choices and uses them for His glory. This should sober us in choosing wisely today, yet relieve us that God is ultimately in control. The Scripture presents a picture of our responsibility AND God’s sovereignty. This is a work of wonder, which fills the heart with awe.

Today’s commentary by:
Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org
This devotion is very comforting to me... because I tend to be a control freak. =) When I was younger, I would date guys and "get rid of them" after a couple of months. My mom said they made it too easy for me to control them. She always told me, "You'll marry the first guy you can't control." Now that I'm married, and have been for a bit over 7 years... I'm happily unable to control this man that I love and it is both a pleasure to try to find ways and a complete annoyance all at the same time! HA HA HA That really isn't anything to do with the devotion today, but it is something that came to mind when I thought about my control freak ways!
 
God is good to comfort me. This month has been a pretty tight one financially and I had JUST gotten done asking him to forgive me for giving in to fears. I confessed to the Lord that it is difficult for me because I always feel like I'm on top of things and my whole life I have been in control of a great financial picture. I've lost "control" there, even though I never truly HAD it, He just allowed me to feel that way. It's comforting to know that no matter how much I plan, and even how much I learn how to save at this point in my life... He has ultimate control. It makes it easier to praise Him in the storm because I know 100% He has me here, there is a reason, and He knows when and where the end will come.
 
I'll end all of these thoughts with another verse I've been comforted by lately, and it's so true (of course):

1 Peter 1:3-9
Praise to God for a Living Hope

 3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
 
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment