The faces behind the stories!

The faces behind the stories!
My little Loves.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Kindness, MY tough lesson!

One day last week, we had a morning where the boys just weren't getting alone (OK, not just one day last week... but one in particular stands out). Joe was struggling with being kind with out expecting something in return.  I had a talk with him about how we are kind because that is how God has called us to be, and although it would be NICE if someone was kind back... it doesn't always happen that way.

I dropped Joe off at school, and went about my errands.  I found myself at Target and Costco through out the morning. As I was walking down an aisle, a lady completely crashed her cart into me. Even though it was "her fault" I decided to say, "Oh, sorry." I completely expected her to say something like, "Oh no, I'm sorry." Instead, she looked at me with an ugly look and kept walking past me. Then, as I was at the checker, he dropped my Costco card when handing it back to me. Instead of saying he was sorry, he made a comment that made it seem like it was my fault. As I left the parking lot in my car, I noticed a big truck that was really struggling to get in the lane I was in, so I stopped traffic and waved him in... Again, I had an expectation of acknowledgement... I thought he'd wave, maybe flash his light on and off, possibly a head nod at least. NOTHING. Each of those instances frustrated me. Lately I've been treated with less than common decency when I've gone out... When the truck thing happened...IT HIT ME, it hit me hard. "We are kind because that is how God has called us to be, and although it would be NICE if someone was kind back... it doesn't always happen that way." OUCH... I had to relearn that which I had just taught my 6 year old earlier in the morning.

I believe there are a lot of hurting people in the world... I believe the devil has surely taught selfishness well... There is darkness all around us and people are showing that more and more in their behavior. SO, most likely kindness will not be reciprocated, BUT... what better setting is there to stand out as the Light of the World?

I was convicted and I pray that my mind/heart is reminded to continue to act in Kindness EVEN WHEN others are not kind to me... maybe, just maybe, the Lord will be able to use that for His glory and impact on lives! I know this is a struggle for me... not being kind, but being kind because it's what I'm called to... not because of any one's reaction or any glory I might get... so, my heart is challenged to grow!

(Some Pictures of the handsome boy that's always keeping me learning, by being his mom!)


No comments:

Post a Comment