The faces behind the stories!

The faces behind the stories!
My little Loves.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Joe's Apology...

I'm pretty sure I have already blogged about our "Board."
When the boys do something, unbecoming of growing gentlemen, their name is written on the board.
While their name is on the board, they are not allowed to play video games or watch any TV.
They have the power to get their name off the board as quickly as they'd like, by making whatever it is they did wrong... right. This can come in many different fashions, sometimes it's in helping with an extra chore, or being extra good at a time when Mama just really needs it, and sometimes it comes in a written apology. This form is Joe's least favorite and one that he typically absolutely protests doing. He's rather clean his whole room than write an apology.
 
This morning, though, Joe wanted his name off the board QUICK because he wanted "Some relaxing time" before school. He asked me for a piece of scratch paper and started to write. I heard, "Mama, how do you spell Obey?" With my back to him as I cleaned the kitchen, I smiled and told him. Then I heard, "Mama how do I spell choices?"... Again, with a smile, I told him, "Why don't you go ahead and use Kid spelling and do your best, I enjoy that." So he did.
 
His note, which he comes up with all on his own, said:
I will not say no to you.
I will not throw a fit.
I will obey you with out throwing a fit.
I will obey you with out saying anything.
I will make smart choices and keep you happy.
 
Now, that last one kind of stung me a little bit. I know he's been told that it hurts my heart when the wrong choices are made because I don't want things to have to be difficult for him... But, I also don't want him to feel like he has to work really hard to be a "Mama pleaser." It's a tough balance between teaching him how to behave and helping him know I love him no matter what.
 
Nevertheless, I enjoyed that he took the time to write this to me... even though he threw a fit 30 minutes later! Ha ha ha Good news is, I was able to remind him of his letter and it helped calm the situation much faster than normal! Oh the silver lining!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment